Sulfuric Acid Alkylation Unit Upgrade
Through the review process, 11 separate items were identified and summarized in project notes to improve operation of the Kellogg® Alkylation unit. The initial list of 11 items was reduced to 7, after discussions between NEC and the client, that are slated to be installed during the upcoming turnaround.
- Premix Isobutane with Olefin before Reactor
- Increase Acid Circulation Rate
- New Heater in Kellogg® Caustic Treating Section (tie-ins only – heat exchanger design & specification to follow)
- Fresh Acid Wash of Reactor Effluent
- Improved Instrumentation in Kellogg® Unit
- Use Stratco® Treating Section for Kellogg® Reactor Effluent
- Upgrade Isolation Valves on PDI Transmitters on Kellogg® Reactors
NEC provided the client with a process design package (PDP) which included (but not limited to):
- Datasheets and/or specifications for newly identified equipment items,
- Instrument lists & process design data for new items,
- List and description of new tie-in points,
- List and description of new piping,
- PFD markups,
- P&ID markups,
- Plot plan markups,
- Added utility/power requirements.
NEC expertise enables us to look at not just a specific unit or system but also allows us to identify how that unit or system works as a part of the bigger picture. We have years of experience working on all different units and aspects of a refinery and understand intimately how each unit affects the others. This allows NEC to find the best and most cost effective solution to achieve the client’s goals while also limiting costly shutdowns and bottlenecks.
We offer our clients a highly experienced team, including a former ExxonMobil Sulfuric Acid Alkylation expert, a former ExxonMobil Reactor/Mixing expert, and experienced process engineers familiar with operations and revamps of Sulfuric Acid alkylation and Hydrofluoric alkylation processes. Our team will help define a project that is safe, cost effective, and one that combines theory with practical results.
Ask us how Norton can put our expertise to work for you! Contact us today